What is a fat burner?
Sports fat burners, or fat burners, are special sports nutrition products that help to effectively and quickly reduce weight. They normalize the metabolism, suppress appetite, promote the removal of excess fluid from the body, block the synthesis of fats and activate the oxidation of excess fat deposits, stimulating their breakdown and removal from the body. An additional effect of most of the products of this group is an increase in strength and energy, it helps to train more intensively, for a successful reduction in fat mass.
Fat burners can be used by women and men, professional athletes and beginners. They show themselves better not on their own, but in combination with another sports nutrition, for example, with BCAAs or isolates. In addition, they need to provide certain conditions, such as a balanced daily diet, regular exercise, in particular cardio.
Types of fat burners
This sports nutrition is basically universal. It can be used regardless of gender, age, level of sports training. However, the maximum effect is still possible with special, properly selected products.
Today, you can buy fat burners for women and men, for athletes, etc. Separately, in accordance with the functional effect, blockers of fats and carbohydrates, thermogenics, lipotropics, etc. are isolated. Let’s find out what each of the popular types is:
- thermogenic fat burners (thermogenics, thermogenics). Provide burning of adipose tissue, accelerating metabolism by a slight increase in body temperature. They also reduce appetite and activate the central nervous system. Contains various neurostimulants. Their action occurs painlessly with the intervention in a large number of biochemical processes, as well as with a significant improvement in the breakdown of fatty acids. Thermogenics increase metabolic rate and calorie expenditure. They force the body to process fat into energy faster. They are most often used by those who want to lose weight in a short time. Among thermogenics, caffeine, guarana, synephrine, ephedrine, red capsicum, black or cayenne pepper, green tea extract are considered popular. Side effects: irritability, sweating, tachycardia.
- lipotropic fat burners (lipotropics). As a rule, they are made from vegetable raw materials. They optimize energy metabolism and transport processes in the body, thereby significantly speeding up metabolism. Usually not suitable for serious fat burning. However, when combined with an extreme low-carb diet with carbohydrate alternation, they show themselves in all their glory. Lipotropics or mobilizers improve the burning of body fat reserves. Popular lipotropics are L-carnitine, inositol, chromium, choline, lipoic acid, B vitamins. They transfer fatty acids to mitochondria, the “energy stations” of our body, and stimulate the breakdown of fatty acids, prevent the accumulation of lipids in tissues. Lipotropics increase tissue sensitivity to insulin, improve glucose metabolism.
- anorectics are appetite blockers. A popular group of fat burners, which at its core is a type of thermogenics. Such foods affect the central nervous system, causing the body to think that it is full. This prevents the feeling of hunger. If they are used clumsily and without measure, you can do harm, so you should be careful. An overdose is dangerous for insomnia, negative changes in blood pressure and deterioration of the heart muscle. They affect eating behavior. According to the mechanism of action, they are divided into three subgroups. The former directly affect the saturation centers in the brain. The latter reduce food motivation, and the third are substances that bind water and cause a feeling of satiety. Anorectics include L-phenylalanine, 5-hydroxytryptophan, dietary fiber, fine bubbling fucus.
- diuretics give a temporary result, mainly reducing the amount of fluid in the body. Their functional duties are to stimulate intestinal motility and slow down the reabsorption of water. Most often used immediately before the competition. Constant use carries such dangers: diarrhea, increased sweating, dehydration.
- blockers of carbohydrates. Reduce body weight by blocking the enzymes that break down carbohydrates. The output of the latter, in turn, occurs unchanged. It is noteworthy that in these sports products there are practically no contraindications, except for minor intestinal disorders and sensitivity to components.
- fat blockers. Similar to the previous view, only bind fats. They block the enzymes that are responsible for fat digestion.
- Fat and carbohydrate blockers are a range of sports supplements. They prevent the body in the intestines from absorbing fats or carbohydrates from food. Blockers reduce the activity of enzymes that are involved in the digestion and absorption of carbohydrates and fats. Substances that come with food are not digested and absorbed, but are excreted from the body. Fat loss occurs by reducing calorie intake. An indisputable minus for this group of fat burners is that the planned ratio of proteins, fats and carbohydrates is violated in the diet. How many actually remain in the diet is difficult to calculate. Among this group of fat burners, xenical, white or red bean extract, dietary fiber, chitosan are popular.
There are four main groups of fat burners: lipotropics, thermogenics, blockers and anorectics. They differ in the mechanism of action on the body.
Thermogenics increase metabolic rate and calorie expenditure. They force the body to process fat into energy faster. They are most often used by those who want to lose weight in a short time. Among thermogenics, caffeine, guarana, synephrine, ephedrine, red capsicum, black or cayenne pepper, green tea extract are considered popular.
Are fat burners safe to use and are there any side effects?
Fat burners can be dangerous and often come with side effects. Among them are feelings of anxiety, insomnia, high blood pressure, changes in behavior, and stomach problems. That is why you should consult your doctor before using fat burners.
Fat burners increase levels of the stress hormone that causes anxiety. It affects how fat is stored in the body and reduces the chances of burning fat for fuel.
Stimulants in fat burners can change sleep patterns, cause difficulty falling asleep, superficial and disturbing sleep. Fat burners with caffeine can be addictive, needing to take them constantly and increase the dose of drugs.
As a result of an accelerated metabolism, the heart can work faster than it should. Therefore, the heart rate increases and blood pressure rises. Consumers of fat burners notice changes in their behavior. They develop irritability, mood swings, aggressiveness and nervousness. In addition, fat burners can cause diarrhea and constipation.
The use of thermojetics should be treated with caution by hypertensive patients – people with high blood pressure, as well as those who have kidney disease, arrhythmia, diseases of the gastrointestinal tract and thyroid gland. The least side effects are with natural fat burners, which are not as dangerous as chemical fat burners.
What fat burners are considered natural?
Natural fat burners are caffeine, green tea, soluble fiber, and cayenne pepper.
Caffeine helps increase energy and alertness, and reduces fatigue during hard workouts.
Green tea speeds up metabolism, which burns more calories. Soluble fiber suppresses appetite. Cayenne pepper, due to the high content of capsaicin, stimulates a thermogenic response to burn calories.
What are the benefits of taking fat burners?
Many people feel hungry almost all the time during weight loss and during high-intensity training. This scares and discourages the desire to make any attempt to reduce weight.
If you are used to eating large amounts of food, then fat burners such as dietary fiber and some protein supplements will reduce your appetite. Fat burners help you avoid the occasional snack that threatens to reset your workout.
They can also increase body heat production and improve metabolism by stimulating chemical reactions. To do this, fat burners help burn large amounts of fat as energy. The main advantages: the muscles are maintained in good condition, the aging process slows down and the risk of concomitant diseases – obesity and type 2 diabetes – is reduced.
Do fat burners work without exercise? How much weight can you lose if you only take fat burners?
The main condition for the effective work of a fat burner is physical activity.
Fat burners are ineffective without a low-calorie diet and proper cardio. Supplements on their own won’t burn many calories. Fat burners without physical activity remove only 50 calories per day. That’s less than one candy bar and three times less than a can of soda.
A calorie-restricted diet will help improve results and maximize the benefits of taking fat burners. They reduce appetite, provide extra energy, help you use fat for energy, and speed up your metabolism. However, all this will not happen if you eat pizza and hamburgers every day. At the same time, it is important not only to limit calories and reduce weight – it is important to reduce it with less loss to the muscles. This result can be achieved by the right combination of proteins, fats and carbohydrates, and not just by reducing calories.
How to choose a fat burner?
You need to choose a fat burner based on your goal and the mechanism of their action.
If you want to suppress your appetite and get rid of hunger, it is better to reduce the daily calorie intake and use carbohydrate and fat blockers. Appetite blockers are also suitable for this.
If you want to increase energy, reduce body fat and increase metabolism, lipotropics and thermogenics are suitable.
Manufacturers of weight loss drugs, understanding the complexity of chemical processes in the body and the desire of consumers to achieve results faster, offer complex formulations with different effects and mechanisms of action. Thermogenics and lipotropics can be included in one drug at once.
When to take fat burners?
It is better not to take fat burners immediately after you decide to lose weight. The first kilograms in the process of cardio training go away, as a rule, easily due to the loss of glycogen and water. When weight loss slows down, and excess water leaves the body, it’s time to take on fat.
During this period, you can start taking fat burners, but you need to coordinate the dosage with your doctor. Don’t forget that the safest way to consistently cut fat is to focus on eating fewer calories than your body can burn. It is also important to have a balanced diet, the right portions of food distributed over several meals, and regular exercises for all muscle groups.